Tuesday, June 10, 2008

About the Images

Thanks, James, for your comments on image licensing and intellectual property on the internet.  A your suggestion, I have now figured out how to place an image on my blog with a link rather than having to download the image first.  Hopefully this system will allow me to show images that are not explicitly mine while still still leaving full control in the hands of the images' author (or at least, in the hands of the original person who "borrowed" and posted it!).  Either way, I suppose I have rationalized enough at the moment to clear my conscious.  Sigh.

And a note for the visually-inclined:  I have gone back and inserted some images into a few of my previous posts.  Happy (re)reading!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You can go a step further (which I usually try to do), which is to have the image itself hyperlink to the original web page that hosted it, so that clicking on the image will take you to the webpage. That's kind of like providing a citation. If you're coding directly in html, you do this by surrounding your "img src" tag with "a href" tags.

Doing things like figuring out where intellectual property ownership ends and fair use begins is why law professors have a cool job.

The Beholder said...

Thanks, James! I've gone back and fixed the linked images so that when you click on them, they take you back to the original webpage. I'm new with any sort of HTML editing, but when I was initially formatting my blog, I did read up a little on image editing (I was having trouble getting the images to "enlarge" upon clicking them). Turns out it works the same way for the linked images, you just have to insert them in "HTML" view, not "COMPOSE" view.

Intellectual property rights does seem like an interesting subject, but so broad! And I'm sure it's made even more difficult on such a widespread but informal network like the internet.

Thanks again for your comments, I hope you'll continue to read the blog!