Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Four Down, Three to Go

This afternoon I took my fourth ARE:  "Building Design & Construction Systems."  I think this was probably the hardest of the tests I have taken so far because the range of topics covered was very broad and so it felt difficult to prepare for.  Also, there were three drawing components to complete in 2 hours 45 minutes, which felt a little tight.  As with the other drawing components I have taken, when you get near the end of the testing time, you have to make a decision:  do I nit-pick and play around with my proposed solution to make it better (and risk submitting an incomplete solution when the time runs out!), or do I leave it as it is, even though it may include minor mistakes.  I have chosen the latter option each time:  it is, I think, far better to have a complete solution with a few mistakes than to have one that really is not complete at all.

Although I did feel the test was fairly difficult, I left the testing facility feeling comfortable if not confident in my performance.  However, like the other two tests I am awaiting scores for, I will hold my true celebration until receiving my final score in the mail, whenever that may be!

Each time I get nervous about the tests, I have to remind myself that I do not have to overperform, I simply have to meet the minimum requirements.  I am generally not a "minimum requirements" kind of guy, but in this case I am just trying to power through all 7 exams as quickly as I reasonably can.  Next up, "Building Systems" in February!

No comments: