Saturday, September 17, 2011

Experiments in Furniture Refinishing: Part 1

I have not been able to walk by the English Building Market here in New Haven lately without buying some new (old) piece of furniture.  A few weeks ago, we finally found the twin to a chair we have in our living room allowing us to complete the seating arrangement.  And just this week, I picked up a set of four dining chairs for pretty cheap.


These unique three-legged chairs were designed in the early 1950s by Hans Olsen and manufactured by Frem Røjle in Denmark.  The branding stamp is pretty clear on the bottom of all four chairs, and one of the chairs still has a sticker that says "Danish Furnituremakers Control."


The chairs are made of solid teak with a vinyl seat and the set of four were intended to nest around a small circular table which was, unfortunately, not available at the Market (see below; not my photo).  In good condition, I have seen the table and chair set sell for a couple thousand dollars online.  There is also a version of the table available that expands to seat six with two additional chairs--sounds perfect for our little family.  I guess that means we are on the lookout for two more chairs and a table now!


Though the chairs are in fair condition and I originally thought I would just clean them up and oil or wax them, wobbly joints, a chewed up corner, and a split frame on one have made me decide to disassemble and re-glue all the joints of the chairs.  I have already disassembled and started cleaning up one of the chairs as a test.  I am reasonably competent around furniture and in the shop, so it seems like it will be pretty straightforward to put back together with a little wood glue and a strap clamp.  (I hope I do not have to eat my words later!)



I guess there could be worse things in the world to collect than awesome vintage modern furniture bought for cheap!  But something tells me if this little refinishing/restoring experiment is a success, I may have found a new hobby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will keep my eyes open now that I know what you are looking for and interested in!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Good job!
Realize its a while ago since you did this, but how did you dissemble the chairs? Did you use anything to dissolve the old glue? I have a set myself and is quite keen to fix them up. Would appreciate your advice! Thanks David

The Beholder said...

Hi David. Thanks for your comment. The joints of the chairs were so loose I didn't have to work hard at all to get them to just come apart.

I've actually only redone one of the set to date. We don't really have a place for them right now, so I've been focusing on some other pieces for around the house, some of which I've posted on the blog. I'll admit, chairs are not my forte! I'm still learning!