Tuesday, September 23, 2008

People Who Live in Glass Houses

"Architecture is the art of how to waste space." (Philip Johnson)

Tickets went on sale this morning at 9:00 to visit Philip Johnson's Glass House and estate in New Canaan, Connecticut, during the 2009 season (May-October). Though I intended to visit the house in 2008, tickets sold out quickly when they went on sale last year. Having learned my lesson from that experience, this time I was not going to take any chances.  I was ready this morning with credit card in hand before 9:00 to buy tickets for myself, Kim, and three of our friends. It seemed like almost instantly weekends in May started selling out, so in order to find five tickets together, I had to look all the way ahead to July 11th!  That was a real surprise!

Who spends $45 a head 9.5 months in advance to buy tickets for a two hour tour of a house!?  A very cool, modern house, but a house none-the-less!?  Why, it could only be a group of architecture dorks and their loving and ever-so-supportive wives!  Thanks, loving and supportive wives, for putting up with our shenanigans!

No comments: