Friday, September 21, 2012

Mind the Gap

I made the serendipitous discovery while walking in front of the gym the other day that Harkness Tower can be seen over the pathway between Morse and Stiles Colleges, if only for a few seconds, as one travels along Tower Parkway.


The juxtaposition of the 1930s Gothic revival Harkness Tower by architect James Gamble Rogers with Eero Saarinen's 1960s Modern residential colleges is just the kind of playful architectural "eye-candy" that continues to amaze me as I discover more of my favorite little moments on campus.

The sunlight late this afternoon bathed the yellowish stone of the campus in a golden glow. It was so lovely that while biking home from work today I stopped to take a panorama of the Morse and Stiles crescent. This golden glow of Yale is one of the things I vividly remember from my first visit to campus on 2002.

No comments: