Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Olympic Logos: Biggest Loser

For each medal winner in the Olympics, there are many others who must lose. In the realm of Olympic logos, there is one logo that is, without a doubt, the biggest loser.

London 2012's logo breaks all of the rules when it comes to good Olympic logo design. It is graphically awkward and uncompelling, has nothing to do with what I imagine is current thinking on "good" graphic design, and expresses nothing of the city or country in which the Olympics will be held. Just be glad I did not post the logo in its official magenta color with yellow shadows!

I hope the image speaks for itself, but if you want to read more, just click here.

On the other hand, many people have suggested alternatives to the London games. Here are some images of some alternate logos that I think are quite nice. Some of these could have even been in my medal rankings!

I actually think the current design would be much improved if it just used the Union Jack coloring, as proposed above.

I really like this particular proposal, probably the best of all the alternates I saw online. It is simple and graphically strong. The ribbons follow the path of the Thames River through London. Subtle. Elegant.

This particular proposal is interesting in the way it incorporates "2012" into the city name, although I cannot help but read "Zoizdon" when I see it, so it could use a little work.

Except for the tagline "We've got the Olympics in us!" I think this one is graphically very strong as far as a logos based on typography go.

I like the concept of this one more than the execution, but I think it has potential. The idea of the city as a hand with the line of the Thames River running through it is strong, but the coloring and typography is a bit unrefined to my eye.

[This post is part 5 of 5. Click for parts 1, 2, 3 & 4.]

No comments: