Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Olympic Logos: Gold Medal Winners

I actually think that Rio 2016's logo is one of the best Olympic logos, and not just because I am a Brazilaphile! It is graphically simple and strong and expresses the spirit of both Rio de Janeiro and Brazil in a number of ways. Having been to Rio recently myself, the logo instantly brings to mind images of Rio's beautiful landscape of ocean and hills, including the Pão de Açúcar. And the colors used echo the colors of the Brazilian flag, of which Brazilians are very proud.

Vancouver 2010's logo represents the Inuit stone monuments, known as Inukshuk. Vancouver also had some of my favorite Olympic medals. The wavy shape reminds me of the mountains of the Canadian Rockies as well as the ocean of the Pacific Northwest. The artwork on each medal is unique, which if all put together form a larger master work representing an orca.

Hidden in the image of a jumping human figure, Sydney 2000's logo represents elements of Australia's aboriginal art and culture, as well Sydney's iconic Opera House.

I was 14 years old when the Olympics were in Lillehammer Norway, but the logo made an impression on me even then. I love the simple graphic nature of it in its representation of the northern lights.

I guess I am a sucker for Olympic logos that feature architecture. Oslo 1952's logo is quite simple and graphically strong. It features a representation of the (at that time) recently completed Oslo City Hall. This medallion-like logo would have made a perfect Olympic medal!
[This post is part 2 of 5. Click for parts 1, 3, 4 & 5.]

No comments: