Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Olympic Logos: Silver Medal Winners

Beijing 2008's logo is very nice. To my Western eyes, it looks very Chinese in both design and typography (or is it calligraphy). The human figure is based on the Chinese character for "Jing," which represents the host city. The only reason I did not give it a Gold Medal ranking is because it is less like an icon than I generally like.

Torino 2006's logo, on the other hand, is very iconic, and the only reason I did not give it a Gold Medal ranking is because I could not figure out what the logo had to do with the city of Torino or the country of Italy. However, Torino did have my favorite Olympic medals of all time. I just love the "donut" design with the looped around ribbon!

Athens 2004's logo features a representation of the olive wreath which ancient Olympians were crowned with after winning. The blue and white color of the logo are from the Greek flag.

Seoul 1988's logo is graphically simple and very iconic. The color and pattern look very Korean to my Western eyes.

I think the central graphic element of Grenoble 1968's logo is quite beautiful. I think this logo fits into my "wild card" category of logos I like because I cannot quite put my finger on why I like it so much.

Mexico '68's logo is a great example of a logo that succeeds on typography design alone. I love the way the Olympic rings are integrated into the year.

I cannot put my finger on it, but for some reason I like the logo for 1960's winter games in Squaw Valley, California. I do not know what the logo means, but it is graphically strong, and it is hard to go wrong if you stick with primary colors and platonic shapes. To my design eye, it looks very 1960.

There have been a number of logos for winter games that have used a snowflake theme, all of which I like. Although they are all graphically strong, I did not give them Gold Medal rankings because snowflakes could really have to do with any place wintery. They do not express the "spirit of place" of the host city or country like many of my Gold Medal winners do.

[This post is part 3 of 5. Click for parts 1, 2, 4 & 5.]

No comments: